TAIPEI, Taiwan — Taiwan's presidential office said Friday that it had not received any information about the U.S. adjusting military sales, after a senior U.S. official suggested there was a pause due to the need to have enough arms for the war with Iran.
Subscribe to read this story ad-free
Get unlimited access to ad-free articles and exclusive content.
Taiwan, a self-ruling island that China views as its own territory, has been waiting for the U.S. to approve a new arms sale package that Reuters has reported could be worth up to $14 billion.
However, U.S. President Donald Trump said following a summit with Chinese leader Xi Jinping in Beijing last week that he was undecided on whether to approve it.
On Thursday, U.S. Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao was asked at a Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee hearing about future arms sales to Taiwan.
00:59
Trump says he and Xi talked “a lot” about Taiwan
00:0000:00
“We have done some foreign military sales to them. It's just right now we're doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury — which we have plenty,†he said, referring to the U.S. operation against Iran.
“But we're just making sure we have everything, but then the foreign military sales will continue when the administration deems necessary,†he said, adding it would be up to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Secretary of State Marco Rubio on whether to approve the sales to Taiwan.
Speaking to reporters in Taipei, Taiwan Presidential Office spokesperson Karen Kuo said they had noted the remarks.
“However, at present we have not received any relevant information about the U.S. adjusting these military sales,†she said.
The U.S. is bound by law to provide Taiwan with the means to defend itself. China has repeatedly called for the U.S. to stop arms sales.
Taiwan's government rejects Beijing's sovereignty claims, saying only the 23 million people of Taiwan can decide their future.


